Shared Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Hosting: What Web Host Does Your Site Need?
When you launching a new website, deciding on the web hosting provider might get tough. Before choosing a web host, it’s important to know what kinds of hosting are available and what is the difference between them.
Web hosting is a type of service which provides server space for your digital platform so that people can visit your site on the Internet. In this article, WishDesk explores three main types of web hosting:
- shared hosting
- VPS hosting (virtual private server)
- dedicated hosting
There are advantages and downsides to each. Let’s compare shared hosting, VPS and dedicated hosting for performance and security, and find out which web hosting is the best solution for your digital platform.
Shared Hosting Outlook
Shared hosting offers the most basic set of services for websites. In this type of web host, you share space with many other platforms, making the cost-per-user the lowest. It is possible to find shared hosting for around 5$ per month.
With shared hosting, however, your actions are limited and you lack autonomy from the actions of other website owners. The old adage of ‘safety in numbers’ doesn’t apply. It’s quite the opposite, for if one of the platforms on the server gets hacked, your website will become vulnerable as well.
Some advantages to shared hosting:
- It’s cheap
- It requires no technical skills on the part of website owner
- Security and maintenance of the server are managed for you
Some disadvantages to shared hosting:
- It can become slow due to running many websites
- Security is not guaranteed
- Server resources are limited and access is competitive
VPS Hosting Outlook
A VPS (virtual private server) offers a shared environment as well, however, its technology partitions all its users. Fewer clients use the same hardware and each has their own private space. This makes it perform as if every website has its own server.
Some advantages to VPS hosting:
- You pay only for what you need, without unnecessary features
- It’s fast
- It’s scalable
- It’s customizable
- Server space is assigned and more secure
Some disadvantages to VPS hosting:
- More expensive than shared hosting
- Requires regular maintenance and software responsibilities
Dedicated Hosting Outlook
A dedicated server is a server that is fully dedicated to one user who has the rights to use all resources available. The hosting environment may also be customized in any way. Dedicated hosting is a solution for websites that expect 500,000 or more visitors to their website each month.
Some advantages to dedicated hosting:
- It’s exclusively yours
- It’s fast
- There’s 24/7 support.
- It’s secure.
- You have full access to settings.
Some disadvantages to dedicated hosting:
- It’s expensive.
- Technical skills or specialists are needed to maintain the server.
Web Hosting Performance
Performance is probably the most essential indicator of a successful platform. Poor performance reduces a website’s ranking and the outcomes can be devastating. In order to provide positive user experience, you need to ensure top-notch performance.
Here are some of the effects or variations in performance which can be anticipated through the use of either shared hosting, VPS or dedicated hosting:
- Sharing a server limits your platform’s performance when traffic rises.
- Although your control is broadened with VPS, there are still limitations. If one user crashes the server, each website’s performance on VPS will also suffer.
- Dedicated hosting offers the best performance. All space and resources are devoted to one user who is in turn responsible for the site’s usability.
Web Hosting Security
Security is another vital part of web hosting and the differences in security among hosting types is clear:
- Shared hosting offers the lowest level of security. The activities of other websites on the same server may influence all the other platforms, putting them at risk for viruses, bugs, hacks and blacklisting.
- VPS provides a higher security level than shared hosting. However, some viruses can make all the websites on the server vulnerable.
- Dedicated hosting is the most secure. Exclusivity minimizes the risk of attack.
Which Web Hosting is Best for You?
We’ve provided outlooks for each of the three main types of web hosting and have highlighted some of their advantages and disadvantages. The following factors should help further guide your selection:
You should choose shared hosting plan if…
- you have a limited budget
- you are not expecting high traffic
- you launch a small website, personal site or blog
You should choose a VPS hosting plan if…
- you need high quality service, but have budgetary limitations
- you are not fully skilled in programming
- you are a website owner who want dedicated resources and more control over the hosting environment.
You should choose dedicated server if…
- you need the most secure type of hosting
- you have a large platform with lots of videos and high-resolution images
- you have a highly trafficked platform or enterprise website
Choose Your Web Hosting Today!
When all is said and done, WishDesk recommends VPS hosting. It is better than shared hosting in nearly every case and the demands are not as daunting as with a dedicated server.
If you're new to online business, it might be worth starting with a VPS and working your way up. Check out some VPS hosting plans and choose the one that meets your needs.
As with all of our satisfied clients, we wish to guide you and fulfill all your hosting needs. Contact DevOps services providers today for hosting services for your digital platforms.