How to create a knowledge base on your WordPress website
A good website is a useful website. All the best WordPress websites provide something really useful to their readers, each in their own way.
One of the good options in this area is to add a knowledge base to the site or create a knowledge website in WordPress from scratch. The WordPress CMS offers plenty of useful plugins for implementing this.
Read on and you will learn what a knowledge base is, what benefits it brings, and how to create a knowledge base on your WordPress website.
What is a knowledge base on a website?
A knowledge base on a website is an organized collection of posts that provides some helpful information to the readers. It can be used for:
- customer support pages
- various FAQs
- educational resources
- instruction manuals
as well as for many other scenarios depending on your business goals.
Why you could benefit from a knowledge base
Having a knowledge base added to your site (or creating a full knowledge website) can give you these advantages and more:
- Knowledge is a valuable treasure today. Sharing it is always the way to gain customer satisfaction and creating your brand’s authority in the industry.
- Helping users find the answers or instructions is a great way to make any website more user-friendly, and not just your website but also your product or service.
- Ready answers, instructions, or tips on popular topics save your staff working hours. In the case of customer support, many explanations can be avoided thanks to just the right information section.
- Providing concise answers to questions that users often ask on Google can boost your SEO rankings. This helps you get your content to Google’s featured snippets above all organic search results, optimize your website for voice search, and create great options for internal linking.
How to create a knowledge base in WordPress
For all those who want to build this kind of information section, there are available plugins to choose from. They help you with whatever you wish to achieve — build a knowledge base in WordPress, create a FAQ in WordPress, and so on.
Some popular knowledge base WordPress plugins include:
- WP Knowledgebase
- Echo Knowledge Base for Documents and FAQs
- Very Simple Knowledge Base
- Heroic Knowledge Base Plugin
- Helpie WP
- BWL Knowledge Base Manager – Plugin
- Arconix FAQ
- Ultimate FAQ
Let’s now review the process of creating a knowledge base on your WordPress website with the help of the Echo Knowledge Base for Documents and FAQs plugin.
It is easy to use, professional-looking, and compatible with WordPress themes. The plugin comes packed with its colors, styles, as well as ready layouts (two basic layouts and two tab layouts).
Steps to create a knowledge base in WordPress
- Install and activate the plugin on the Plugins page of your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Find the automatically created Knowledge Base section at yourwebsite/knowledge-base and go to its configuration tab.
- Click the “configure the KB” button if you want to select the layout (basic or tabs), style (square or boxed), and color scheme instead of the default ones.
- Click “View Initial KB” button if you want to see how your KB page looks.
- Scroll down to General settings. There you can edit the page name and slug (the URL part that is different for a particular page).
- Organize your categories.
- Fill your KB with content by adding new articles accompanied by tags (see more on how to use the Gutenberg editor in WordPress 5)
- Don’t forget to change the default texts of the automatically created articles.
Entrust creating a knowledge base to WordPress experts
We have described a few basic steps of knowledge base creation in WordPress. There are more settings to play with, and, of course, plugins can be customized or created from scratch specifically for your business case.
Rely on our WordPress developers:
- to create a knowledge base for your existing WordPress website that will look and work exactly as you wish
- to build a knowledge WordPress website from scratch according to your requirements.